I met a friend for coffee a few weeks ago and she told me about a big, exciting idea that she has for a new business venture. She was so excited that she could hardly slow down to take a breath. She shared tons of details which told me she had given it a lot of thought too; staying up late at night, making notes and waking up first thing in the morning with this big idea on her mind. Then I asked the $24,000 question: What are you doing to get started? Can you hear the crickets? Apparently this was an idea for “someday.” I was left wondering, what’s really stopping you from making someday today?
This wasn’t the first time over coffee this particular friend shared her passion and enthusiasm, while declaring her dream, and desire to make it happen. Thing is, it never happens. Thinking, dreaming, planning, scheming and sharing coffee with people who believe in her are as far as every single idea goes; never further.
She has all of the excuses ready to go. Sound familiar?
- I’m a Mom. In a few years I can do something else.
- The economy is still really tough. It’s hard for entrepreneurs.
- I just don’t have enough time.
- Our money is going to more important things… like braces.
Here’s what she’s doing right to make a dream, reality:
Telling people about her dream! It’s a great way to move from stuck on a dream and into positive action. Furthermore, it rocks, hearing her excitement and enthusiasm from her heart. No practiced pitches or PR spin, she’s able to authentically enroll people in her vision. I totally want her to do it and want to help her succeed!
She’s a friend, and I want her to be happy, so when she asked me for my thoughts, I gave her my opinion.
Success is impossible unless she…
- Believes she deserves it.
- Believes it’s possible and all she needs to do is figure it out.
- Quits feeling the pressure of creating a big business (although she can already picture her empire)… start with small.
- Stops worrying about step 963 and the fact that she has to run her child to swim lessons during the exact same time slot.
- Focuses on step #1.
Ready to Make Someday Today?
Your turn. What if a magic button appeared on your bedside table, or better yet, magically at the bottom of your coffee cup, which if it’s like mine, is mysteriously, perpetually empty.
Now, think about that really stuck place in your life, you know the one.
Pressing the button will change everything. You will no longer be stuck, but instead have pressed GO.
Push the button!
So what do you want to do? What’s keeping you frozen? You pressed the button so you have permission to move.
Why do you continue to stand still?
- Don’t know what to do first… or next?
- Unsure of the how?
- Scared it’s too hard?
- Worried that everything will change when you succeed?
Break the Frame Action:
Take the time to understand what keeps you stuck. What is standing between you and what you most want?
It could be a lot of things, but you can figure it out by looking within. Decide if your someday is today… or tomorrow… or never. Up to you.
If you’re ready to make your someday, today, check out my eCourse: Get Unstuck and Choose to Move. Your time is now.