I’ll bet I know something about you that you think nobody knows. Ready for a mind reading trick extraordinaire?
You make choices because you think you have to and that you have limited choices (at times). You want the world to see you in a particular way and sometimes that’s at odds with the way you see yourself. There are rules for success and you’re not about to break ‘em.
Today, I want you to know that permission is granted to make the difficult choice. The one your heart is telling you to make and the one your soul needs to you too as well.
There will be days…
That ice-cream is the perfect dessert
The gym just isn’t going to happen
A binge marathon of Mad Men is just what you need
There will be moments… You need to say no to:
That business trip that is at the worst possible time
Yet another meeting on the same topic you’ve already had 50 on last week
One more drink because you really do want to get home and leave happy hour
Permission is granted for you to make your own decisions
There will be opportunities…
At the wrong time
With the wrong partners
Don’t beat yourself up for opting out
There will be people…
Who drain every ounce of your energy
And you’ve given enough
You can let their next call go to voicemail. The world won’t end.
There will be times…
You just want to try something different.
You’re tired of the same old, same old.
Permission is granted for your wants, needs and love-tos
You will want to…
It’s okay. You can.
You will need to…
Make hard choices that will get you noticed at work and still face the stares and cold shoulders of the people at home.
It’s not all or nothing. At the heart of balance is conscious choice, not scales.
You would love to…
Be home and tuck your family in at night.
But you have more work than you can ever complete.
The work will be there tomorrow.
Permission is granted for you to do what you know you need to do for your mind, body and spirit
You always have a choice even when you feel like you don’t. Always. Stop worrying about how others will judge you. Stand up fully as who you are – permission is granted. If you don’t care for you and respect your vision and long-held values, who will?
A robust life is not made up of the never and always moments. There are times to flex, let go and be in the moment instead of trying to control it.
- Order in dinner.
- Have a slice of cake at your friend’s birthday party.
- Open the good champagne that never seems to have the perfect celebration moment.
- Close your business. Pivot. Change focus.
- Go for a run before heading into the office, not after.
- Skip happy hour.
- Read a book all weekend.
- Take a mental health day.
- Share your latest idea.
- Eat breakfast for dinner, lunch and for breakfast.
- Get your groceries delivered and skip the store.
- Go to your child’s baseball game.
- Stay late to crank things out for your important morning meeting.
- Ask questions.
- Say “I don’t know.”
- Bring lunch in for your team for no reason.
- Ask someone to officially be your mentor.
- Hire a coach.
- Take a nap mid-day on the weekend.
- Leave your desk for lunch and don’t worry if it’s not the norm.
- Tell the people on your team why you appreciate them and be specific. It’s not corny.
- Try a new path and if it doesn’t work out, find another to follow.
- Just listen.
- Go to karaoke.
- Bow out of karaoke.
- Take the interview even if you’re not on the market.
- Schedule an extended vacation and leave your laptop at home.
- Start a blog.
- Be silly.
- Show that you’re a human being with emotions.
- Go for a bike ride instead of responding to more emails.
- Update your resume before you need it.
- Eat something strange that you love without apology.
- Cut out the person in your life whose negativity is unbearable.
- Be positive even in the face of a remarkably negative opposition.
- Share your experience.
- Start a side hustle.
- Join Toastmasters even if you’re an experienced speaker.
- Turn Social Media notifications off on your phone, iPad or both.
- Spend the evening watching trashy TV.
- Go back to school for another degree or more training.
- Set a crazy goal and go after it full-on.
- Ignore people who tell you that your goal is too “out there”
- Move – around the corner, to a new city or around the world if it’s calling to you.
What do you most need to give yourself permission to be/think/do?