Like you, I have a lot going on between work, family and personal commitments. I’ve let myself go deep in the frustration and aggression that the stress so easily brings out in me. I even started to believe the stress-filled Alli, and the gremlin on my shoulder, that there are no long-term pathways out of the stress to make the leap into positivity. In honor of World Gratitude Day on September 21st I decided to carve out five minutes to focus on gratitude and something shocking happened.
In just over five minutes of filling my heart and mind with gratitude, my day turned upside down. The same things I was dreading doing were easier, less pressure and more of a gift to myself and others than a chore. I brought joy to my tasks because I let myself be open to joy.
A pathway to make the leap to positivity is gratitude. (Click to Tweet)
Are you ready to ditch the stress and lead with optimism, positivity and greater personal fulfillment? I can’t tell you that gratitude is the answer to everything but the first step is to find five minutes, a blank page and bring an open mind and heart.
Here’s my list. I am grateful for:
- My husband that puts up with me
- My children that are incredibly loving
- Having an adventure overseas
- Blue skies almost daily
- Living in Australia
- Children that love school and life
- Family holidays
- My parents are coming to visit
- My sister just had a baby
- My brother is getting married to an awesome woman
- My brother has two sweet and sassy kids
- Artwork from my kids covers my walls
- We realize things are just things and can share them with others that need them
- Awesome clients
- I’ve met the coolest, smartest people on Social Media
- My accountability partner cares about my success and not only their own
- Turkish delight
- Amazing books that take me somewhere new
- Smiles and giggles frequently fill my home
- Sunday Markets to hang out and relax
- A walking buddy that shines from the inside out
- Technology that keeps me connected to people
- FaceTime for bringing me not only to my sister’s wedding but also now my brother’s
- The snake man who is super responsive and trusts that if I saw a snake, there is one to catch
- The APO
- Hazelnut coffee that is like starting my day sipping delicious joy in liquid form
- More places than Starbucks to get a skinny flat white
- Reward charts that motivate and recognize hard work
- Pre-school cuddles with my kids even when I wish I was still sleeping
- Living in a place filled with diversity
- Living somewhere that many people smile
- Having the money to donate to causes that matter
- A home that’s filled with people who love each other
- iPad learning games that don’t seem like learning games
- My health and the health of my family
- Fresh challah out of the oven most Fridays
- I get to choose the work that I do and make a difference to others
- When my family asks what gifts we want for our birthday/holidays I struggle to find an answer because we have everything we need
Make the Leap Action: Spend five minutes with gratitude. Don’t just think about it. Write it down. If you’re up for it, SHARE it. Gratitude grows when we share our hearts, joy, and what we’re thankful for with others too.
I shared my list. Will you share yours?
For coaching, consulting or speaking Let’s Connect!